Wednesday, 14 May 2014

A green evolution



Me:  Dear internet, I have sinned.  It has been a whole month since my last blog post. 
Internet: We’d hardly noticed, and anyway, you’ve probably got a really good excuse, like, you got a job!
Me: Well no, I still haven’t got a job.
Internet: Well sometimes life gets in the way and you just don’t have any sewing projects to show us?
Me: I have twenty-seven finish garments that I haven’t blogged about, nineteen of which I have sewed in the last month.
Internet: So what’s the problem?  Why no posts?
Me: I’m not sure. 
Internet:  Well you’re here now, so get on with it.

OK, I decided that I needed a new suit but this post covers several garments that evolved out of the suit that sort of go together, so I guess you could call it a collection.

As is frequently the case with me, this collection started with the fabric; a textured bottle green of unknown origin (more cheap fabric off trade me).   

I’m not sure what appealed to me about this fabric, since I have no other bottle green in my wardrobe, probably because my high school uniform was bottle green, so I have an irrational prejudice against the colour.  I can only assume I had a momentary flash of clarity that suggested that thirty years was long enough to hold a grudge against the colour.

Anyhow, I bought the fabric and from the moment that it arrived in the post it said “trouser suit”.  At least it said “suit”, but the soft handle spoke of an elegant trouser suit.    

I do like smart trousers, but the only appearance in my wardrobe at the moment is a pair of black pants, so the green pants came first.
I used my pant block, and didn’t add any additional features like pockets and stuff.  I love pockets in trousers, and I always use them.  In fact I use them so much that I typically stretch the fabric at my hips so that I get additional saddle bags with only a few months of wear.  The reason that I still have the black pants in my wardrobe is that they have no pockets, so I haven’t pulled them out of shape.   




Learning from the black pants, these trousers have no pockets, so I can’t over stuff them out of shape.

I first used them to go out to dinner to a friend whose garden backs onto a slow running river.  It’s so slow running that it’s more a sort of mobile lake, and there are always insects around her place.  Since the local mosquito population rings the dinner bell when I expose flesh at her place, I decided that smart pant were the way to go.
  







Unfortunately, since I have no other bottle green in my wardrobe, I didn’t have anything to wear with it, so I resurrected Project 40, from my 2013 sewing list, a white flowered sleeveless blouse.  The flowers on this fabric have bottle green leaves, so I dusted off an old Burda pattern (which I drafted before I had so many Burda patterns that I have to label them properly, so I can’t tell you which one)  Allowing for a little extra weight since I drafted it, it came together easily.   

In retrospect I should’ve checked the fit before I started as it came out rather loose, and although I added bra cups it didn’t offer any support, and a bra wasn’t an option.   
While this might not have bothered me twenty years ago, it bothers me now, so I ended up taking it in.  The end result is that it looks rather snug, but at least I didn’t fall out of it.

At this point progress sort of stalled, until I was called to an interview for a job that I knew was going to require a fair amount of mobility, so I decided I needed a pant suit for the occasion.

Although I have numerous TNT  jacket patterns I had fallen in love with this one from Burda April 2013.
I wanted something a little softer than a classic tailored jacket, and I felt that this would go with the trousers.

I really enjoyed this project.  It came together really easily (As usual I didn’t actually ready Burda’s instructions so I can’t comment on them) and I like the softer feel of this jacket.   


To lift it out of the ordinary I added a paua shell lining, and I love it, even though I’m the only person to see it.
(Since the top I made to go with the trousers wasn’t office appropriate, I paired the suit with a plain white blouse for the interview.)

A few weeks ago I was sorting through my stash, and I came across a green drill labelled “Project 41” in a bag with a zip and waistband interfacing.  I’m embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what I had intended to do with this fabric, but I must have had a plan, since it had made it to my 2013 plans, if not the sewing machine.

I’m sure you can imagine my horror when I discovered that project was a pair of tailored green pants.  I had bought fabric when I didn’t need it!  Rather than admit this sin to the world at large, I decided that I had to destroy the evidence immediately and get this fabric out of my stash.  I also wanted to demonstrate how I put a lined dress together so this bottle green fabric became a lined dress.

I used my TNT princess line dress
… and remembered to document how I put the lining and dress together.
  
The dress works rather well with the jacket from the trouser suit.


So there I have a few more work outfits for that dream job.  Now all I need is the dream job!

No comments:

Post a Comment