Thursday 20 February 2014

My guilty secret



I’m sure that many of you, like me, are guilty of sewing over pins.

No matter how many times I’ve been told of the error of my ways, sometimes it is just easier to keep two pieces of fabric firmly together until I’ve finished sewing them.

I know that I risk breaking my needles, that it effects the quality of the stitches and is a “bad” thing to do, but I defy the sewing police by secretly doing it anyway.  

I recently managed to get to see the “The Great British sewing Bee Christmas Special”, and spotted this…
 
Great British Sewing Bee Christmas Special screen shot
Needless to say I was shocked!  This was shown on British TV without any parental warning and at a time when young children were likely to be exposed to this travesty!  British TV has obviously sunk to a new low.

And the offending sewist?   

None other than May Martin!

Does this mean that I can come out into the open and admit my shameful secret?   

Is anyone else prepared to come out of the closet and admit to sewing over pins, now that May Martin has done so in public?

3 comments:

  1. I sew over pins ALL THE TIME! During my first year of sewing, I was terrified out of it by my friend's mother, who taught me to sew and also taught me that a needle could hit a pin, break, then fly up and puncture my eye. That was enough to keep me from doing it for awhile, but over time I started sewing over pins and have yet to experience eye trauma. It's just so helpful for keeping fabric in place!

    I will say that, this habit makes serging an adventure for me. I try to remove all the pins, as I sew, but invariably I zone out and miss one. Unlike a sewing machine, the pins will break in half and fly around with a serger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sewing instructor at my community centre sewing class also sews over pins. It makes me cringe! I never do it, and immediately take them out while sewing after she leaves my machine, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not too, I've done it before and broken the needle, which is a pain in the b to change when you just want to sew!

    ReplyDelete